My goodness! Time does fly by, doesn’t it? We are fast approaching year-end and here at TLB HQ that means one thing…it’s time to get ready for next year’s health and fitness project!
And what a project it will be! After spending the past several years using myself as a case study subject, a lab rat, or a guinea pig, I’m excited to have a new undertaking that uses other people as dependent variables. Without further ado, let me unveil Project JACKED!
A bit of a slang term for having well-developed muscles, our friends at Google give us this example: “a dude so jacked you have to wonder if he is freebasing creatine!” Other terms commonly thought to be synonymous with jacked are pumped, ripped, swoll, shredded, cut, buff, etc. All these descriptors trend a bit toward the vane and cosmetic, but I chose this word for the Project just because I liked the way it sounded. In fact, my original inspiration for the term came from a label that a client gave to his own health enhancement program not too long ago: “Getting Jacked Like (Hugh) Jackman!” Impressed with the actor’s sculpted physique obtained in his mid-50’s, and information on the interwebs about his health, diet, and training methods, my client decided this moniker fit the goals of his endeavor.
Where I’m at with this word (jacked) is a little softer-edged. I’m going to use it as a way to describe the attainment of improved body composition (losing fat, gaining muscle), better overall health, and energy and optimism that go through the roof. So Project JACKED is all about making gains in the positive directions of wellness, but it is not imperative that one achieve Jackman-like levels of physicality (unless you want to). Is that somewhat clear and understandable? Project JACKED is all about health first, and the benefits to mind and body that go along with becoming a better-functioning human. The primary objective of this post is to recruit participants (you) for this “study” of metabolic excellence. I’m going to list out some program descriptors and also some criteria for entry.
Project JACKED is totally free. You pay me nothing. There is no catch, clickbait, switcheroo, or any other tomfoolery. It’s a free program.
This Project, which I have designed after several years of intense study and participation, is a pilot journey for a “reset” or “kickstarter” program for anyone who needs to lose a little weight, improve their health (such as drop their blood pressure, blood glucose levels, etc.), increase their fitness, or gain back a little of the muscle mass that age-related sarcopenia steals from us.
JACKED is not the same as the 9-10-17 undertaking I published previously. JACKED is much more concise and simple, and just as cost is no barrier to entry, neither is excessive complexity.
Project JACKED is a 4-month weight-loss, muscle-gain, health upregulation program. It starts on January 1 of 2018 and goes through April 30.
Did I mention it was free? Just checking to see if you were paying attention. If you get into Project JACKED, you are getting in on the ground floor of a program that takes all the latest science and boils it down into a “success-nugget” that you really can’t get anywhere else. When I see the serious health problems that most of the participants, as well as the trainers, of The Biggest Loser, have suffered, I am appalled. Things like that should never be allowed to happen and it is a disgusting tragedy and travesty. JACKED uses the science to avoid all the injuries, misery, and fat re-gain.
JACKED is a comprehensive program. We use a specific and progressive focus with exercise, diet, and lifestyle. And we take that focus, apply it uniquely to each individual in the program, and teach you what you need to know for success both during the program and for your long-term, independent health maintenance. In JACKED, there is a major education component. You’ll learn some general principles of metabolics and conditioning, but also will be taught how to recognize what works and doesn’t for YOU, where the wiggle room is, and how we mix consistency with dynamic variability to get results.
Here is how JACKED works.
- You’ll need to be in the Bozeman, Montana area to participate in the program.
- Monthly 90’ conferences (probably on Friday mornings) will be conducted and attendance is required. Education and discussion on each month of the program, as well as review of the workout program, will be featured.
- Weekly 40’ e-meetings (probably on Monday early mornings) will be held via Zoom, again with attendance mandatory.
- Unlimited email access to me as your personal health coach for the duration of the program. Neither the group, nor I, will let you fail.
- The only thing I collect for my role in this is your data. You give me permission to use the data in writing about the project and for research. No pictures and I’ll assign every participant a “fake” first name. Sorry but I think “Batman” is already spoken for.
- Pre-test and post-test measurements are taken via bodyweight, circumference measurements, bodyfat calculations, body mass index (BMI) measurements, as well as a simple subjective questionnaire.
- Each month revolves around a different workout system, and a different nutritional program.
- All workouts are only 30 minutes each and are designed to be done at home.
- Each participant will need the following: a set of “light”, “medium”, and “heavy” dumbbells (I will be providing participants with guidelines for this), a pullup bar, a bench (I can show you how to make one for little cost if needed), and an exercise mat, rug, or carpeted floor space. That’s it. If you freaked out when you saw “pullup bar”, relax, much of what we will be doing with that is food-assisted.
- Nutritionally speaking, we’ll go over what to avoid, how to shop, how to prepare food, how to measure and record/track, and tricks like feeding times, nutritional ketosis, carbohydrate cycling, protein needs, etc. A few recipes and menus will be reviewed but this is not a rigid program. Just basic principles that let you use your creativity and preferences.
- Accountability: It can be tough sometimes in doing these things. I know, I’ve been there too. We’re all human. That’s why we combine the benefits of small group support with personal health coaching. You might stray off path a little along the way, but in the end, we’ll get you where you need to be.
That’s probably enough information. Formal programming will go out to all participants starting in the last week of December 2017. Here are some criteria for considering if you want to participate.
- You need to be in SW Montana. Gotta make the meetings. JACKED won’t work if you don’t.
- You need to be relatively able-bodied. This means that you should consider yourself an advanced beginner or higher as an exerciser. Anyone who is undergoing surgery or rehab for an orthopedic condition, or who is actively or aggressively receiving treatment for a major health condition or disease, should continue on that path until they reach able-bodiedness. It’s not that JACKED is out of the question for such an individual, it’s just a few steps along the continuum of wellness from where you need to be at this time.
- You have to participate in the weekly e-meetings. If this is a turnoff, or seems like an impossibility, I get it. But the program really needs that presence. This is can-do country. It’s not hit-or-miss. If a program is awesome enough, and you want to kick “A” badly enough, you always find a way to make it happen.
- If you really want to make this the year (whether you like to make resolutions or not) that you finally take charge of your health, lose weight, stop feeling lousy, and take care of yourself so that you’ll be around for your grandkids and other great parts of life, this is the program for you. Don’t be scared. I’m a board-certified specialist in orthopedic physical therapy and have over 3 decades of experience in my profession. I’m not gonna let you get hurt. I’ll show you how to adapt and overcome.
- If you’ve struggled in the past with dropping a few pounds, want to finally get into shape (or those skinny jeans) and would like to feel truly great, this program is for you.
- If you are already fairly fit, healthy, and active, but are open to new ideas, and maybe want to change it up a bit, this program is for you.
- If you are super-fit, and know an extremely high volume of the latest information about food, activity, training, and lifestyle, this program is not for you. You are already JACKED! Congratulations. But I ask you to find it within yourself to help others with their health pursuits any way you can.
- If you are looking for the most regimented, rigid program with schedules for everything and no variance, this program is not for you. I deal in concepts, guidance, coaching, and education. I’ll give you a few fish platters, but I’m going to teach you to fish for yourself.
- If you bristle at even the slightest hint of constraint and containment, and when you heard about the mandatory meetings you immediately shut down, and even though you would have liked most of the program you decided to not do it just to spite someone or something (me, yourself, society, The Man), this program is not for you. I understand. Finding that perfect fit for a program is indeed a journey, and one size, even a personalized JACKED size, just won’t fit everyone. I wish you luck and success and I’m sure you’ll find it elsewhere.
So what do you need to do if you want in? Pretty simple. Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org with your intentions to participate in the project, and maybe a few sentences about what your specific goals may be. I’ll keep this confidential. I’m hoping to have about a dozen participants in the program, but I won’t turn any serious folks away. Also, if you have more questions that can be dealt with in a brief email, shoot that to me as well. This is going to be a blast, and I simply can’t wait to help you get JACKED!