Right away, you’ll probably agree that the subject in today’s title conjures up much debate and context-dependency. So be it. Let’s talk.
That’s exactly what happened in Episode 175 of The Lifetime Athlete Podcast: The Sweet Spot for Cardio. PK & I discussed a number of considerations and offered advice for lifetime athletes. Here are some of the things we covered:
- What is the differentiation between Low Intensity Steady-state Training (LIST), High Intensity Training (HIT), and General Daily Activity (GDA)?
- How do those terms fit into the Guidelines for Physical Activity for Americans?
- What are some of the unique benefits of aerobic exercise, aka “cardio?”
- How does cardio impact health, longevity, and performance?
- What is the optimal intensity for LIST?
- How long should a workout last?
- How often should we perform cardio at a minimum on a weekly basis?
- Who can and should do more?
- Can a strength athlete or team sport player incorporate cardio without interfering with their gains in other areas?
All this and more! I hope your spring training is shaping up well and that some of these tips can help you.