Physical Preparation and Rehabilitation are the main tools in the pursuit of peak athletic performance. Physprep involves training, tapering, peaking, and competition. Rehab is what we do when we need to recover from injury or to correct dysfunctional movement patterns. In this episode, PK & I review some key components of peak performance that include the following:
- Physical Preparation and Rehabilitation can be viewed as existing at opposite ends of a continuum, as a progression from pain to performance, or as a seesaw that is weighted heavily in one aspect at a time.
- Physprep is what we do to develop capacities and skills toward goal attainment, and it should support health. It should also be done with optimal movement patterns in a pain-free manner.
- Rehab comes into play when movement is suboptimal, pain is present, or injury/surgery occurs.
- No matter how you slice it, professionals who work in these capacities are COACHES and this requires a unique relationship and skillset.
- Now is the time to use more online coaching and healthcare services. Yes, this is valuable in the era of social distancing and risk reduction regarding infection, but it is incredibly effective, cost-saving, and OPTIMAL in many circumstances.
- Any coach, therapist, trainer or other healthcare provider who is scrambling and wants some mentorship on how to successfully enter the telehealth arena can contact me for some free advisement. Contact info is below.
This podcast was brought to you by The Lifetime Athlete Coaching Services. Helping you to achieve peak athletic performance in any sport or fitness pursuit…fine tune your body composition to get lean, healthy, shredded, and jacked…and solve the root cause of injury problems by optimizing movement. This is exactly what we do in the coaching relationship. Online health and performance coaching is where it’s at, and it’s awesome at TLA.
Consultations, gift certificates, and packages are available.
The Lifetime Athlete Podcast is hosted by John Zombro, PT, MS, OCS, MTC, CSCS. A Board-Certified Specialist in Orthopedic Physical Therapy, and a human performance specialist for 36 years, John’s focus is in helping you to become Hard to Kill — on the playing field — and in the game of LIFE. The goal for each of us is the same: to be our best selves at any and every point in the lifespan, and to Die Late, Healthy, and Fast! You can reach John at:
Additional resources can be found at thelifetimeathlete.com where you’ll find hundreds of articles, podcast episodes and videos on The Lifetime Athlete YouTube Channel. Books, ebook programs, and merchandise are also available. These include AnimalFIT, the body type training program like no other, which helps you to Unleash Your Inner Beast and Unlock Your Athletic Potential!
Thanks for being part of The Lifetime Athlete Tribe and keep being a magnificent human BEAST!